Thursday, September 10, 2009

The word on the street

At almost 17 months, Claire's language is exploding lately. I can barely keep up with all of her new words. Today, she had three new additions to her vocabulary - video, (pronounced "vidi"), llama, and Farwig which is surprisingly clear. She has been trying to say her big sister's name for a few weeks, but in the past couple days, her version of Maggie's name has become very distinct. When the sisters are reunited after a separation, most often due to naps, Claire is overjoyed! She runs toward Maggie shouting, "Mani! Mani! Mani!' Some mornings Maggie sleeps in, and as Claire and I quietly tip toe out of her room, she'll look at Maggie's closed bedroom door and whisper ever so softly, "Mani?" It's the most adorable thing I've ever seen! I don't think she's close to saying her own name though. When I ask her, "Can you say Claire?" she just looks at me blankly and says "Me!" Maybe this means she won't refer to herself in the third person!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Is that a Sesame Street reference? :) The sister thing is so cute. I love this age...it is awesome!

Alison Treat said...

That is sooooo sweet! Wish I had a chance to know Claire better as she grows. Can't believe Maggie's and Camilla's birthdays are just around the corner.